Thursday, February 11, 2010

Can I use Tremclad rust paint on the hood of my car or how do I repair the peeling paint and subsequent rust?

I have a 2006 Chev Malibu and the paint is peeling at the base of the hood. Someone suggested Tremclad but wouldn't the engine be too hot for Tremclad paint? Someone else suggested primer and spray paint. What do I really do?Can I use Tremclad rust paint on the hood of my car or how do I repair the peeling paint and subsequent rust?
To stop the rust you need to remove all the existing rust.





There is some primers that turn the rust into primer.





But on OverHaulin', Muscle car, and Trucks they remove all the body rust. So the rust will not come back. They only coat existing rust on the frame. They never used a special paint for the hood because of high heat. The whole exterior is shot with the same paint.





I have never heard of trem Clad paint.





1) Remove the rust.





2) Scuff up the metal with a a scotch pad.





3) Prime it.





4) paint it a couple of coats. Start with a very light coat and allow it to properly dry before repainting.Can I use Tremclad rust paint on the hood of my car or how do I repair the peeling paint and subsequent rust?
If you can't afford to have it professionally done, and you are a novice (no offense, I am one myself) it will look bad once you are finished, especially since the car is so new. If you don't sand it properly, prep the surface properly, use the proper paint (and proper amount of paint), allow it to cure properly, feather it in properly, *and* clear-coat the paint properly, it won't look good, and will be extremely noticeable when you are finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment