Saturday, February 27, 2010

What kind of paint do I use to paint my 16' fiberglass boat. My clearcoat is peeling off. It needs new paint.

It is a 1979 larson. It has had a clear coat put over the factory paint long ago. It is all peeling off. I want to do some of the prep work myself. I think I will just paint the top half. What kind of paint will work best? I walk on the hood of the boat alot. it is closed bow.What kind of paint do I use to paint my 16' fiberglass boat. My clearcoat is peeling off. It needs new paint.
Polyurethane will be the easiest product for you to use. Interlux's Brightside is fairly easy to find and simple to work with if you are otherwise unfamiliar with marine finishes. It can be brushed, sprayed, or rolled and you can still acheive a good finish.





If you get into two-part paints like Toplac, Imron, Awlgrip, Awlcraft 2000, etc., it will be much more difficult for you to obtain a good finish as they are much more sensitive to temperature, humidity, spray pattern, etc. These are professional-only paints, and (aside from Toplac), say so on the can. Awlcraft, for example, requires a primer, primer reducer, primer converter, surface cleaner, topcoat reducer, topcoat converter, and topcoat... all these extra necessities are why boatyards generally charge in excess of $100 per foot to apply these finishes.





You'll also need an appropriately sized air compressor and spray gun. I'd recommend a 1.3mm or smaller tip.





As for the ';mechanic'; who said you can have a paint shop mix imron for you... sure, they can. But it will be hard by the time you get it home. Imron, like Awlgrip is a two-part paint. As soon as you mix the two the clock is ticking on the reaction.What kind of paint do I use to paint my 16' fiberglass boat. My clearcoat is peeling off. It needs new paint.
polyurethane is the best ,its as close to emron ,as you can get,but it does really good on out door things like boats ,and equipment,you have to get it mixed at a paint store that sells automotive paint,but it last really good,and is fairly easy to shoot from a paint gun,i use it on boat trailers and it does very well it wont peel back like base clear coat will either,when this stuff dries its there for a life time,good luck with it,hope this helps.
www.yachtpaint.com


is the interlux website there is lots of info on what kind of paint to use and how to info





good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment