Saturday, February 27, 2010

Someone painted Latex paint over oil base paint in my rented house and it's peeling.What should I do?

I just did this in an old house. They had old wood doors and trim and I had to scrape it all off. It came off pretty good and the Shermin Williams rep gave me a good tip which was to use alcohol to help lift. It will kind of make the latex break down and lift. But I mostly scrapped. Then if you need to paint again which I am guessing you probably will they sell a primer that is specially formulated for Oil base paint and once you use that ,then you can paint anything on top of it oil or latex but I definitely would make the switch to latex. One thing I found was once you start scraping I just removed what came up with the scraper then when I went back the next day there was more scraping to do as it sat it would peel up some more and I was able to take more off. It wasn't too bad but keep in mind that if the oil base paint is really old it just might have lead in it so be carefull.Someone painted Latex paint over oil base paint in my rented house and it's peeling.What should I do?
Depends on how much work you're willing to do. Is this just the trim?





Latex won't stick to enamel unless the surfaced has been prepped, either by sanding, or priming.





If you want to remove the latex, you may be able to literally wash it off with hot soapy water and a scrubby pad.





After it's all dry and cleaned up - you'd need to lightly sand the enamel, and then repaint with water type you prefer. Generally, people use latex on walls and enamel (more durable) on doors and trim.Someone painted Latex paint over oil base paint in my rented house and it's peeling.What should I do?
I have been a painting contractor for more than 20 years. I would first ask you why you feel that you have to fix this problem. You are the tenant, are you not?





Sounds like a nightmare I have seen more than a few times...if you really want to tackle this beast. I have a few tips.





Scraping and sanding are the only way to remove the failing topcoat of latex. Next apply any one of many commercial products that goes by the general term of ';liquid sanders'; it is a chemical etching liquid that allows different products to bond together. Then (*most importantly) prime the problem areas with a penetrating stain blocker/peel stopping product.





Now you can consider what color you want to paint it.....





Painting is 90% prep and 5% painting....the other 5% we drink! : )
cheap way, brusch it over with a wirebrush and repaint, good way, strip it compleatly down,(comercial products avail. in lowes ect.) and redo, but that takes time and effort

No comments:

Post a Comment