Saturday, February 27, 2010

The exterior paint on my house is peeling...should I repaint or get siding installed?

If I had to make a guess, painting an average house would cost $200-$250 in materials and would take a weekend to complete the project. With a good paint you could probably go 10 years or more without needing a touchup.





Residing a house, on the other hand, would probably cost upwards of $8000-$10000 if done professionally and would also take a few days if done quickly.





If the existing siding is in good condition and just needs a scraping and a paint job, would you really want to spend that much money putting on new siding? Now if all the other houses in the neighborhood have new low maintenance siding and your house is the only one with painted siding, that may factor into your decision.





Personally I would recommend scraping the loose paint and repainting with a good exterior paint. Last summer I repainted my ';barn'; with Behr Premium Plus Ultra (100% acrylic latex). It's both a paint and primer so you don't have to prime the surface and then paint. You do however have to scrape any loose paint off before painting (painting loose paint just results in newer looking loose paint and will not bond the loose paint to the surface).








---- Editing for clarity ----





Just to clarify, for my paint job I used a primer/paint because I was in fact painting bare wood along with an existing painted surface. Typically you do not need to use a primer over an existing paint unless you are painting a latex based paint over an oil based paint.





I also found a bit more information about the cost of vinyl.





';A mid-grade vinyl costs about $1.60 per square foot to install, not including the necessary trim pieces'; - Source: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/鈥?/a>





So a 1200 square foot house, 1 level, would cost $15,360 plus trim ($1.60 per square foot * (30w' x 40l' x 8h')) installed based on that figure.The exterior paint on my house is peeling...should I repaint or get siding installed?
if you repaint, be sure to scrape the peeling paint first, re-siding will be much more expensive.The exterior paint on my house is peeling...should I repaint or get siding installed?
dont listen to surge ...


Primer is watered down paint ...unless its oil...used to seal bare wood pores....


Of course you need to scrape loose paint ...Duh


A good paint job will last approx 6-8 years ....


Vinyl is about 3-4 times the cost of paint ....but Vinyl is Final ...
Siding is practically maintenance free so it just depends on what you prefer. Painting every 5 years or spending a little more money for freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment