Thursday, February 18, 2010

Peeling paint?

I painted the mantel, doors and windows in my living room, first with Kilz, then with a latex, high gloss paint. The paint looked terrible, very streaky. I let it dry overnight thinking that it may look better this morning. It didn't ! While looking at the mantel I noticed a nail that I missed in my prep work when I pulled out the nail off came the paint. In large sheets back down to the original white paint even the Kilz is peeling off. What did I do wrong, and how do I fix the mess I've made?Peeling paint?
Did you clean the mantel properly? If it had a high-gloss sheen on it to start with, you should have cleaned and de-glossed with a chemical like trisodium phosphate. Also, try a better quality paint like Benjamin Moore. It's worth the investment if you don't have to re-do the job. You will have to get as much of the paint off as possible, by stripping and sanding, then re-paint.Peeling paint?
it sound as if you might have painted over an oil based paint, go to a paint store and he will give you advice and the right treatments to give your walls before you paint it again.
Without knowing what material you painted onto, or type of previous paint used, its difficult to say. However, you can't paint kilz or latex over oil-based paint...it will assuridly peel off.

No comments:

Post a Comment