Sunday, February 21, 2010

Old deck, paint peeling, wood too soft to scrape/pressure wash, wood is sound, how can I repair?

would rather not replace the 2x6's, just cover with plywood?Old deck, paint peeling, wood too soft to scrape/pressure wash, wood is sound, how can I repair?
If it's too soft to scrape or pressure wash, then I'd have to argue that it's ';sound';.





So, can you lift them off and flip them over? Just let what's now the bottom be the top, and vice-versa. I'd recommend using screws instead of nails when you put them back in.Old deck, paint peeling, wood too soft to scrape/pressure wash, wood is sound, how can I repair?
No, if you cover it up, you'll just encapsulate the problem and give any problems a growing environment. Out with the old, in with the new. Change out the bad wood before it spreads to the substructure (framing and posts). Otherwise you'll just have more problems in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment