Sunday, February 21, 2010

Is there any way to prevent paint from peeling on piece of furniture?

I recently painted a piece of furniture that I thought was ';unfinished';. I cleaned it and then painted with latex paint. The paint went on smoothly, but the paint is VERY easily scratched off. I've let it dry 24 hours, but it is still like this. Did I ruin it? Is there something I can paint over the top like verethane that might seal it? If not, should I just sand it all off? Is there any way to prevent paint from peeling on piece of furniture?
YIKES! you have to sand that lol!Is there any way to prevent paint from peeling on piece of furniture?
If it scrapes off easily, putting something on top won't help the first layer stay on. Sounds like it might be melamine or something other than wood that you've got. If so, you'll need to remove the paint you have on, and start again with the correct primer. Be very careful about sanding it off, you might ruin the finish that's under the paint. Try a damp rag and see if that will do it, or try a plastic scraper. While latex is fresh it will often come off a hard surface with just water and some elbow grease.

No comments:

Post a Comment