Thursday, February 18, 2010

Can I re-texture a wall over peeling paint?

We have paint on the walls that's peeling. We removed all that we can, but there are large spots that are too difficult to get off (although you can still scrape it off with a fingernail). Is it possible to texture over this without all of it peeling?Can I re-texture a wall over peeling paint?
If it comes off with a fingernail then it would come off even easier withthe weight of textured paint on it. You'd be better cleaning off the whole wall and stabilising it before putting your textured paints onto it.Can I re-texture a wall over peeling paint?
Here's what you do after you get off all that you can. Go into your favorite home center and buy some concrete bonding agent and paint your walls with it. Let it dry over night and recoat. Wait 2 hours and then apply texture using a spray hopper and drywall mud. I first orange peel and then come back and shoot a second knock down texture over the peel but that's just preference. . . you can leave it a peel if you like.





Now, you need to prime this with Lowes ';Construction First Step'; new drywall primer or ';USG FIRST COAT'; drywall primer (Lowes sometimes carries both). Don't let anyone talk you into anything else as these are exactly what you need to get. Now once this is primed and dry paint the walls and you'll have a new and lasting finish.





Regardless of thumbs up or down that result from votes on this answer you need to review who I am, here at Answers and through an internet search. You can also go to my website. I have been doing restoration, remodel and construction for over 30 years. I have run into walls just like yours where it had to be done quick and inexpensively. I found this worked on a roll of the dice so to speak on a job where it was an issue in a basement that money wasn't budgeted for. I told my customer that if he bought the materials I'd try a Hail Mary for him and give him the job since I was already there. Well, it worked; and it's worked everytime since. And if you need any additional help with this you now know where to get ahold of me.





Mike Lonergan


TradesProfessional, Inc.


http://tradesprofessional.com
Not really, though it depends just how unfirm the current paint is to the wall. I would hire a proper steam stripper and take the paint off. .
Peel off what you can, lightly sand it. Cover with polyfila, undercoat when dry, then emulsion. Worked on walls in my daughters

No comments:

Post a Comment