Sunday, February 21, 2010

I painted my clothes line poles (they're metal) and the paint is peeling and chipping off. what can I do?

I dont know what to do. Ill probably repaint them again but is there anything special you have to do when you paint them. I did prim them...I painted my clothes line poles (they're metal) and the paint is peeling and chipping off. what can I do?
needs to be a metal primerI painted my clothes line poles (they're metal) and the paint is peeling and chipping off. what can I do?
Sounds like you didn't sand and prime the metal. Raw metal needs to be primed with a metal primer before painting it or it will peel. Also, you could have painted the poles while they were wet. Clean your old paint off; sand and clean the poles, use a good metal primer, then paint it. That should do it..
The paint is not sticking to the metal. You should always prime metal before painting. If the pole is galvanized, you can wash it with an acid etch or vinegar to give the primer the best chance of holding. If you paint over the peeling paint, the problem will quickly reoccur. The most permanent solution would be to remove all the old paint and start over or simply repaint each year.
rub them down with 120grade sandpaper if you rub throw to the metal no matter use a metal primer then an exterior undercoat %26amp; gloss. the cheapest why is to buy hammerite smooth finish metal paint
scrape the chipping paint..then sand the poles lightly to give them tooth to hold paint...use a primer for metal....then a rust inhibitor paint for metal....go over all of this with polyurethane to protect the paint...you should be ok for 5 years or longer.
Did you use a metal primer ?

No comments:

Post a Comment