Thursday, February 18, 2010

I need to repaint some plastic guttering where the orginal paint is peeling.?

i am planning to sand down to remove any loose paint and use gloss to re paint. should i be doing anything else?I need to repaint some plastic guttering where the orginal paint is peeling.?
Accepted trade way to paint plastic (which is to be avoided if possible as there is no real primer for it) is to key the surface with wire wool and apply two coats of oil-based gloss paint. Once it has been painted and is peeling all you can really do is rub it back to sound paint and re-gloss.





But check out the price of new guttering. It is so cheap.I need to repaint some plastic guttering where the orginal paint is peeling.?
Don't sand them as that will make them have a shredded surface and you will not get good adhesion or finish


Rub back the loose paint with wire wool and clean off the plastic very thoroughly . But like everyone else I think you might find it is quicker and cheaper to buy new in black, white, grey or brown. Try screwfix or toolstation they really are pretty inexpensive.
Its not the done thing to paint plastic downpipes/guttering but if you do then there is nothing you need to do other than sand. Gloss/oil based paints stick to plastic like glue, there is no need for an undercoat.
plastic guttering shouldn't,t need painting it comes in different colors


but if you want to repaint it use a pressure washer on it, then use Krylon Brand paint for plastic
Replace the guttering, its pretty cheap. I replaced mine back and front and added another down pipe. I did it in a weekend.
Gloss paint never takes well to plastic guttering unless you use a good undercoat first. if you just paint in gloss, it will peel in a year or two.

1 comment:

  1. My gutter paint was peeling off months ago. I was thinking then to repaint. I realized it was cheaper to buy new. I bought Easy Flow guttering systems, It has leaf guards for ease of maintenance, pretty cool. I don't like cleaning gutters much.

    ReplyDelete