Thursday, February 11, 2010

Attention pro-house painters: How do I deal with peeling paint on interior walls?

A primer was not used before applying latex interior paint on chalky walls and now the paint can be peeled off like a removable sticker in some areas but not in others and resorting to scraping off with a razor scraper. Any suggestions on how to deal with the problem areas where the paint doesn't come off so easily? (And yes, primer will be used before repainting.)Attention pro-house painters: How do I deal with peeling paint on interior walls?
My son is a professional painter. His suggestion is to sand the walls using 80 grit sandpaper, wipe the walls down with damp rags to remove the dust then use your primer.





He suggested this happened from latex paint being used over an oil based paint without sanding prior to repainting; this happens a lot in homes that are 30+ years old as most house paint (both interior and exterior) was oil based.Attention pro-house painters: How do I deal with peeling paint on interior walls?
The wall board must have been wet for some time (stored outside) before putting up to be ';chalky' they should have been wiped off or ?





I wouldn't touch this job but, since you have. I would definitely put on a good primer, something like ';Kilz'; then go from there but with no guarantees. Clean the board off first.
use a scraper
It sounds to me like you have a moisture problem of some type. I would have a professional either builder or painter take a look and recommend a fix.
As far as removing the paint where it isn't peeling, I suggest that you use a paint remover. I know this sounds crazy but if that works on furniture why not on walls? I've also heard of a steamer being used for that. I agree with the other posts, that you may have a moisture problem. Also, if you wallks are chalky as you say you need an oil based primer or the paint won't stick very well. Hope that helps!
go to sherwin williams with this problem and they will fix you right up!

No comments:

Post a Comment